Today was the first day of my Illinois Arts Council Agency-sponsored residency at Piper Elementary School! I'm working with students in grades 1-3 to develop an original play with music inspired by the children's book, I Am Brave and Unafraid, by Arielle Turover Cohen. These kids are the MOST creative and the MOSTEST energetic. My ingenious co-teacher Maritza Cervantes and I are working to build their fundamentals in voice, movement, and storytelling before we dive into hardcore playmaking.
We're so grateful for the generous support of the IACA for making this happen, but we've got more work to do! We need to raise an additional $2,000 to meet our goal and fully fund the program. The money will go towards 1) providing each child with their own copy of the book 2) supporting Maritza's and my teaching stipends and paying for the rights to adapt Arielle's book (artists gotta eat!) 3) supporting archival photo and video of the final performance 4) transporting the students from Piper to their final performance at 16th Street Theater.
Please join me at our FUN(draiser) at 16th Street Theater on Thursday April 26th to support these kids and their work. Your $63 contribution gives you:
1) 1 ticket to 16th Street Theater's The Wolf at the End of the Block by acclaimed Chicago playwright Ike Holter (7:30pm on Thursday April 26, 6420 16th Street in Berwyn, IL 60402)
2) Hors d'oeurvres and refreshments (starting at 6:30pm)
3) A book, "I Am Brave and Unafraid", if you already purchased a copy we would kindly accept your book as a donation back to the program (we need 24 books, one for each child)
4) A book signing with the author, Arielle Turover Cohen
5) A discussion with the artists after the play
To support the project, https://iambraveandunafraid.com/ and scroll down. There is a "BUY NOW" button at the very bottom to get tickets to the fundraising performance or a "DONATE NOW" button directly above it to make a contribution to the program without purchasing a ticket.
Children and Art.... they're good for the world.